Government officials in Cook and the collar counties have given taxpayers more time to pay their 2019 property taxes (due in 2020) without incurring penalties. Here’s a county-by-county update.
- Cook County taxpayers will have until October 1st to pay their 2019 2nd installment tax bills without incurring late charges. These bills, normally due August 3rd, are expected to be mailed in late June but should be posted on the Treasurer’s website (cookcountytreasurer.com) about two weeks before they arrive in the mail.
- Lake County will allow taxpayers to pay ½ of their first installment 2019 tax bills by June 8th and the balance by August 7th (the entire 1st installment bill is normally due June 8th). More information can be found here.
- Kane County taxpayers will have until July 1st (30-day extension) to pay their 1st installment bills without penalty.
- McHenry County will allow taxpayers to pay their 1st installment 2019 tax bills (ordinarily due June 1st) by September 1st without incurring late charges (a 90-day extension).
- Will County will allow taxpayers to pay ½ of their first installment 2019 tax bills by June 3rd and the balance by August 3rd (the entire 1st installment bill is normally due June 3rd). More information can be found here.
- DuPage County taxpayers may be eligible for a 90-day extension to pay their 1st installment tax bills (normally due June 1st) if they can demonstrate “financial hardship due to the COVID-19 crises”. This requires proof of one of the following: (1) the property owner was laid off or terminated after March 9, 2020, (2) rental income fell by 20% or more, (3) rent collections have fallen by 20% or more from March 1 to May 30, 2020, or (4) a business operated by the property owner was shut down after being classified as non-essential and the applicant taxpayer did not apply for relief under the PPP of the CARES Act. Applications and detailed information can be found at dupageco.org/treasurer/.